Cream filled hostess cupcakes were one of everyone's childhood favorites, and now they can be a part of your healthy lifestyle too!
||Serves 6 cupcakes
1 medium zucchini, grated and excess water removed*
1/4 c almond milk
1/4 c whole wheat flour or oat flour
1 scoop PEScience Frosted Chocolate Select Protein
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 c egg whites
1/4 c vitafiber or sticky syrup
2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. uncut stevia
1 tsp. vanilla extract (I used Better Body Foods)
1 tsp. baking powder
2 oz sugar free dark chocolate
1 tsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. vitafiber syrup or sticky syrup
1/2 c Truwhip or coconut whip cream**
1/4 c plus 1 tbsp. powdered erythritol
1/2 tbsp. water
1/2 tbsp. vitafiber or sticky syrup
1 tbsp. vanilla protein powder
- Pre-heat oven to 325f and prepare a cupcake pan with non-stick spray. I used a silicone cupcake mold and non-stick spray wasn't needed.
- Use a cheese grater to shred the zucchini then place the grated zucchini in a paper towel and squeeze out the excess water and set a side.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract, applesauce, almond milk, vitafiber syrup and zucchini until smooth and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, protein, baking powder, stevia and cocoa powder together then add to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Fill cupcake molds with approximately 1/4 cup of the mix and bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- There's two ways you can fill the cupcakes, you can poke holes on the tops of the cupcakes and use a small nozzle tip to pipe the filling in or you can cut out a hole in the center from the top of the cupcake and fill it using a nozzle tip and piping bag. I feel like you will get more filling if you cut out a little cake. Either way is delicious.
- Once your cakes are filled, gently melt your glaze ingredients together until smooth.
- Dip the tops of each cupcake into the chocolate and then place them in the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.
- Mix all icing ingredients together and place them in a prepared piping bag and then decorate cupcakes. *Do not make your icing until you are completely ready to place it in your piping bag and decorate the cupcakes because this icing hardens very quickly.
**To make coconut whipped cream-place a can of FULL FAT coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight then scrape the thick cream off of the top and place it in a mixer on high until it's light and fluffy.
Servings per recipe 6
Serving size 1 cupcake